【导读】1. Michael tries to earn much money by hard work and save money ___ travelling abroad. 2. ____________ indoors watching TV, I prefer to go hunting in the forests. 3. Can you imagine ____________ the d
1. Michael tries to earn much money by hard work and save money ___ travelling abroad.
A. in hope of B. to hope C. in the hope of D. for the hope of
2. ____________ indoors watching TV, I prefer to go hunting in the forests.
A. Rather than stay B. Rather than to stay
C. Rather than staying D. Rather staying
3. Can you imagine ____________ the dinner for his family?
A. George to cook B. George to be cooking
C. George cooking D. George is cooking
4. —Shall I begin the story?
—___________, we’re all listening.
A. All right B. Go ahead C. Yes, you will D. Certainly
5. That car accident ___________ three people their lives.
A. lost B. cost C. killed D. took
6. —Have you ___________ drinking?
A. been used for B. got used for C. been used to D. got used to
7. The passenger ____________ a sign with his hand and the taxi began to drive towards him.
A. had B. gave C. made D. did
8. We all think it most foolish ___________ that mistake .
A. for you to make B. of you to make C. for your making D. of your making
9. The squirrel was so lucky that it just missed ___________.
A. catching B. to catch C. being caught D. to be caught
10. The Coast Guards reported ____________ a ship without hanging its national flag.
A. to see B. to have seen C. seeing D. seen
11. We’ll put off the outing until next week, ____________ we won’t be so busy.
A. when B. which C. what D. as
12. Our class ____________ a wonderful folk dance, which caused a lot of applause（掌声）when it was over.
A. put up B. put away C. put aside D. put on
13. The rain will ________ our plan for a picnic.
A. affect B. influence C. effect D. infect
14. It was about 600 years ago ________ the first clock with a face and an hour hand was made.
A. that B. until C. before D. when
15. It was 1969 ________ two Americans got to the moon by space ship.
A. which B. when C. that D. as
16. He is the only man ________ for the position.
A. likely B. possible C. probably D. possibly
17. When ________ about his plan, he said he hadn’t made it yet.
A. was asked B. asked C. was asking D. asking
18. If you ________ to see Kate, what would you tell him?
A. are B. will be C. must D. were
19. Religion has a great ________ people’s behavior.
A. faith in B. division into C. effect on D. protection against
20. If the idea is wrong, the project fail, ________ good the other ideas might be.
A. though B. however C. whatever D. whichever
21. My brother telephoned the airport to make ________ of the time of the plane.
A. right B. true C. sure D. real
22. Every possible test was carried ________ to decide the nature of her illness.
A. on B. of C. out D. through
23. We can accomplish our task in time ________ we continue to work hard.
A. as far as B. in the care C. as long as D. despite
24. Sometimes my job is tiring, but ________ I quite enjoy it.
A. at random B. by and large C. in other work D. within easy reach
25. “Excuse me, could you tell me ______ the nearest post office?” “Of course.”
A. where is B. where is the way to C. where to go D. how to get to
26. He was only in _______ at that time.
A. his 30’s B. the 30’s C. his thirties D. the thirties
27. It was repairing old clocks that he _____ his spare time at home.
A. took B. used C. spent D. paid
28. Dried leaves continue to hang on the branches of some trees _____ the new leaves appear.
A. until B. that C. by D. from
29. I’ll start early, _____ I oversleep.
A. however B. unless C. whether D. though
30. The boy wanted to ride his bicycle in the street, but his mother told him _______.
A. not to B. not to do C. not do it D. do not to
31. You don’t need to describe her. I _______ her several times.
A. had met B. have met C. met D. meet
32. At last he ____ finish it in time.
A. managed to B. tried to C. succeeded to D. got to
33. Dried leaves continue to hang on the branches of some trees _____the new leaves appear.
A. until B. that C. by D. from
34. Mrs. Smith warned her daughter ________ after drinking.
A. never to drive B. to never drive C. never driving D. never drive
35. It is dark, but he is ______ in the office.
A. already B. yet C. still D. also
36. On Saturday afternoon, Mrs. Green went to the market, ______ some bananas and visited her cousin.
A. bought B. buying C. to buy D. buy
37. Hardly ________ out at night.
A. does she go B. goes she C. she goes D. she had gone
38. Though ______ he said was of little help to me, I thanked him all the same.
A. what B. which C. that D. who
39. You’d better have a rest. Let us do it, ________ you?
A. do B. don’t C. will D. will not
40. I saw some foreigners’ ________ in the reception room.
A. seating B. seat C. to sit D. seated
41. _______ the help of the teacher, I’ve made great progress in my English study.
A. Under B. Below C. With D. Because
42. We all know the truth _____ there are air, water and sunlight, there are living things.
A. in wherever B. that wherever C. where D. that
43. Although she was frightened, she answered with a _____ voice.
A quiet B. silent C. still D. calm
44. The headmaster asked me to_____ him at his office.
A. drop in B. call in C. drop in on D. call on in
45. Sarah hopes to become a friend of _____ shares her interests.
A. anyone B. whomever C. whoever D. no matter who
46. The book, the cover _____ has come off, is hers.
A. whose B. of which C. in which D. on which
47. When my sister phoned me, I could not hear clearly what she was _____.
A. speaking B. talking C. saying D. telling
48．I’ve got my wallet stolen, and_________ is worse, I lost my passport.( )
A．so B．that C．what D．which
49．He had more dictionaries than_________ for his work.( )
A．they are needed B．were necessary C．it was needed D． necessary were they to him
50．It seemed only seconds_________ they came back.( )
A．when B．after C．before D．till